about me my website my shop contact FAQ links Image Map

Thursday 24 September 2015

Crochet Grocery Bag

 A week or so ago I picked up a crochet book in a charity shop for £2. Most of the book covers basic stitches and techniques (perfect if you're a beginner and want to learn crochet) but at the back are a dozen or so projects to make, and one of them was for a crochet string grocery bag. The pattern was really simple, but the results look so effective! And even though the bag may look fairly small, it's actually super stretchy so you can fit loads in. It's going to be my new crochet project bag I think .

It's basically made by crocheting a circle for the base of the bag, and then the sides are worked by chaining and joining the chain to the circle itself to create loops to start, and then after the first row of loops is made, chaining and then single crocheting the chain to the loop below. For my bag I used Lily Sugar n Cream in Pretty Pastels, but any DK or worsted weight cotton yarn will do - just adjust your hook size accordingly.


I'm going to crochet up a bunch of these as Christmas gifts - although they aren't the quickest thing to make, because I adapted the pattern to be worked in the round you can kind of switch your brain off and just crochet away whilst watching a movie! I might also try making a bigger version, with a larger circle base to start with, so I have two different sizes of bag to use - one for smaller crochet projects, and one for larger ones like blankets. What have you all been crocheting up lately?

2 comments:

  1. That looks awesome and I love the choice of yarn you used. My reusable shopping bag is actually falling to pieces but I never thought about crocheting myself a new one. Might have to look into that. I'm actually working on crocheting a Christmas tree skirt, hopefully it'll be completed before Christmas but it's terribly slow to work on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this!!! The colours are incredible too!!

    ReplyDelete

I love getting comments and read every single one. I try to check out the blogs of people who leave comments, and reply wherever possible :) Thank you! xoxo